Saturday, July 31, 2004

Discerning my call to ministry...

It's one of those nights where I feel like I need to write before heading to bed. There's a lot of stuff on my mind. I guess I feel the need to share some things with people that know me, even if it's only through an online journal. I'm trying to seek God's will for my life and finding it a challenge. I came to PTS thinking that God was calling me to the dual degree program of Masters of Social Work (MSW) and Masters of Divinty (MDIV), but now I am not as confident in that. I've been thinking more and more about Youth Ministry--I found out that they have a dual degree for MDIV and Youth Ministry which would take as long as my MSW degree. I feel torn by this because I've wanted to be a Youth Minister for a while and love working with youth, but don't know how that would look as a full time job. And, I don't want to turn to the youth ministry program simply because that is an easier road than social work, considering I don't have the slightest clue how to make the SMW and MDIV degree work. I've thought about having a ministry in which I would combine the two, such as a social work agency that is a part of a church. Modeled like some community development corporations.

I just don't know what direction God is leading me. I feel like music should be a major part of my ministry as well, and am searching to find how that looks as well. I was hoping that my options would narrow once I got to seminary, but I am now thinking, well, what about camp ministry? Or, what about counseling? Or, what about writing books? Being a professor? Do I really want to be a minister? I know I'm here for something, and I know God's got a plan, but it'd sure be nice if He let me in on it! :-)

So, if you want to keep me in your prayers about discerning my call, that would be great.

Oh, does anyone remember a book from Heritage 22 called, Reinventing Paul by John G. Gager? It was the book that Todd Penner taught on and caused a ruckus. Well, I was looking at it today and started reading it again (all my books finally got here and I was noticing there a quite a few I never got around to reading or finishing that I really want to read). I say again because there are pencil marks in the first half of the book, so I must have read some of it... I'll hopefully have time (if only on the weekends) to read it and finish it. I'll let ya know what I think about it when I'm finished. Anyway, I noticed that Gager is a professor here at PTS. Craziness. It's amazing to think that I am going to a school with so many pretigious scholars.

Alright, it's definately bed time. I'm heading out to church in Philadelphia this morning so I better get some rest.

Peace, Shalom, Eirene

1 Comments:

At 31/7/04 10:52 PM, Blogger Temujin said...

Well sister, you've got some friends on the west coast that know just how you feel. Sometimes it seems like you gotta just shrug your shoulders and say "I dunno". But no one likes to do that (especially Christians!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home