Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Do we need another political party?

Hope you enjoyed the music break folks, but it's back to politics... How scarey would it be to combine these two? Musical politics. Oh, wait, that was this link I posted last week....

Anyway, thought you may want to check out this newsletter article on political parties by the Lawndale Christian Development Corporation. I thought it was interesting since I've been stuggling with these issues as well. I'm not saying I agree with everything he mentions, like voting for his son in 40 years, but this part really hit me...


It appears that the values message trumped the economic message. Democrats couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw the sea of red. They think that people who voted for Bush were/are stupid and misinformed.

From where I sit, something more fundamental and obvious is at play. The two party duopoly is ruining democracy. Having to choose between the “values” party and the “inclusion” party is extremely polarizing. The branding of the “left” and the “right” keeps most clear headed people from having a substantive discussion about issues. Most people I know hate to be labeled and don’t fit in a neat box or category. Furthermore, most people that I know were not excited about either choice at the top of the ticket.

Imagine going to the ice cream store and only having two choices. You’d walk (or run) out of the store and find a store with more choices. America needs to run out of the current political store. We need a legitimate third party (sorry Ralph) in this country - a party that speaks to both the moral values and the social issues that would unite most Americans.


What say yee? Tired of having to choose between morals and social values? What do we do about it? Flee, as suggested? If you don't post a comment I'm assuming you are all for fleeing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home