Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Respect in differences

Finally, I am through the week of educational insanity...well, I have one more paper, but I can write that while working at the Starbucks Kiosk tonight. Anyway, it's now time to make some more comments on my post on politics from the other day. I appreciate the people who have commented on it. If you ever want to leave a comment and don't have a blogger profile, and can't be bothered with signing up for one, all you have to do is post anonymously and say who you are. FYI.

I just want to clarify my concerns, because I think in my state of anger I did not say exactly what I wanted to. My main reason for posting what I did on Nov. 5 was to get people to think about how they speak towards and about people of different political parties.

What I don't appreciate is referring to someone of a different party than you in terms and ways that are disrespectful. This goes for both sides. It is not affective to tell someone that they are not a Christian because they voted a certain way or to tell them to leave the country because they do not like how things are. That's an attitude that disregards unity of any sort.

And when I speak of unity I am not saying that a united nation should consist of people who all believe the same thing. There can be a beauty in differences and you can disagree with someone and still have unity with them. It's a matter of respect. We are united when we begin to respect each other and our differences. How people with similar beliefs can come to two different religious and political views about society is a mystery to be as much as to the next guy.

But, more than anything, this is a plea for us to remember to respect those who are different than ourselves. Love each other in spite of differences.


I posted a link to an article The Jesus People Meme in the comment section of the Nov. 5. It raised another issue that I have been thinking about--mainly the role of morals in politics. For dialog on this issue go to Stephen's blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home