Sunday, March 06, 2005

Choir Theology

Why I love Princeton:

I walk through this archway all the time to go down town. It's part of the University campus. Imagine walking up those stairs and seeing this view open before your eyes. Beautiful. It never gets old.

It reminds me of Scotland castles, and tricks me into thinking I've been transported to a land far away from America. And then I hit Nassau Street. Alas.

The real point of this post, however, was to comment on church this morning. I attended the University Chapel service and was once again amazed at the architecture. Walking by rows and rows of pews, I made my way closer to the front and continued to marvel at the historic building I was worshipping in.

But, as much as I love old architecture [ok, maybe a better word is gothic], the real point of this post is the absence of excitement and participation in the worship service. The Chapel Choir was amazing and the service good. What bothered me was feeling as if I was singing a solo during the hymns, and repeating the liturgy all by my lonesome. In a regular church, quiet singers barely fill a room--in a huge space it is even less of a chance. I kept wishing the choir would leave their high and lofty place and disperse themselves in the congregation.

Judy brought this point up once, and said that it would help give people confidence to sing. I agree. It was painful this morning. I wanted to scream--SING!

"Choir Theology--That's worth 3 beers!"-Judy


History of The Princeton University Chapel

2 Comments:

At 9/3/05 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mary, it's Tim Schmoyer. I was looking at the site referals for my family's blog and saw that there were several hits from this site. I was like, "Huh?" and came to check it out and lo and behold it's you! :-) Just wanted to say HI. Hope seminary is treatin' ya well. I know I'm certianly enjoying my freedom from school since I graduated from Dallas Seminary in December. Much more time for more important things in life, like video games and sleep! ;-) Talk with ya soon!

 
At 13/3/05 8:02 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Hey Tim! Congrats on graduation! I've definately got a while yet, but it's going well in any case. Just finished a reading week and have a Church History midterm tomorrow--yikes! what am I doing blogging when I should be studying! Are you still in Dallas these days or heading back to PA at some point?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home