Thursday, September 02, 2004

Time for the brew?

It's such a beautiful day outside! I want someone to play softball with me! Where are all my wonderful softball ladies when I need them? It's also tempting to just hang outside for a while...maybe I should do that...move my translation space outside.

All I have to say is one more day!! We're translating 3 John for tomorrow's quiz. It's been really great to read the text in Greek. It's nice not to be able to skip ahead when reading. I know that I do that a lot when I read the Bible, simply because I think, "Oh, yeah, I know that...I've heard that (or something like it) before" When you have to translate it you can't really do that. And it may take a few readings to get the jist of the passage but that's ok. The class has really helped me understand translation issues as well. I knew that it was a hard process, but it's helped me to appreciate it more. We've looked at pictures of original manuscripts and noticed variations in them--a preview of my Intro to New Testament Exegesis class I'm sure. I've struggled first hand with how to translate a mood in Greek that you can't really translate that well into English. Or choosing words that are accurate to the time you are living, reading, and preaching in, but keeping the old context and meaning as well. I wonder how I will like Hebrew? I've been looking forward to taking Greek for a while now, so it didn't seen like just another required class. Maybe my Intro to Old Testament class will inspire me for next summer's Hebrew--the brew as it is affectionatly referred to.

Oh, and I thought I would mention this because it pissed me off at breakfast this morning. I am trying to be understanding, but it makes me angry. Some people are planning on dressing up really nice for the first week or two of class. Mainly because they say that people come to class looking gruby and they want to make a point for not wearing t-shirts or flannel shirts and such. You know what this makes me want to do right? Bust out all my Austin College Activators and other random T-shirts and wear them for the whole first month of class. I guess it really upsets me because for the first two weeks of class I didn't have all my clothes here yet, since they had to be shipped, so all I had to wear were t-shirts and shorts. And I felt a bit uncomfortable because some of these same people were making comments about people never taking time to dress up for class. This bothers me because it's already setting up divisions within the community. People aren't even here yet and they're already planning on how to single them out. Maybe that's not the goal, but I don't see how it wouldn't. And along with that make them feel like crap and unwelcomed into the community. Maybe it's just me having a problem with this, but I hope not. They are assuming that everyone has been raised in a culture where you dress up all the time, when that's not the case. Or that you have nice clothes to wear everyday. Excuse me, but I just got out of college and haven't had a real job therefore I don't own as much nicer outfits as other people. And furthermore, some of the outfits people where to class I would never do simply because they're not really going to class outfits. You can look nice and cute without wearing a church dress everyday. I don't know. Call me crazy. And I know that the Eastern culture is a lot different than the Mid-West and the South in the way they dress, but I don't think it's right to make people feel out of place because of that. I'm not saying I agree with showing up to a grad school class in pajama pants everyday, but when the winter comes and I want to wear sweats to class, you best get out the way. Pissed is what I am and as long as they are dressing up the first two weeks of class, I'm all about the t-shirts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home