Friday, October 29, 2004

Busch Stadium

And while we're on the subject of the Cardinals, I thought I would take up the issue of the new Cardinal ballpark scheduled for completion in 2005...

The thought of this new ball park makes me sick. Call me old fasioned and resistant to change, but while this is partly true, there is more to it than that. Yes, I am sad that the stadium I went to growing up will be demolished. I'm just glad that I got to return to Busch Stadium summer of 2003 for a couple games while I was in St. Louis for the InterVarsity Urban Project. While I was there I heard of the plans to tear down Busch Stadium. This information came a few days after hearing that a large number of St. Louis schools were being shut down, many of them in the inner city. These are poor schools, yes, but they were being shut down without assessing the problems. Yet, there is a million doller stadium on the agenda to build when there is a perfectly good one standing there? This upset me, and still does. The first thing in my mind was, "Why don't you use all those millions you're planning on spending on the new baseball stadium and invest it in improvements for the educational system?" I still feel the same way. But, they are building the new stadium, and I will have to deal with that. And since I don't live in St. Louis anymore I don't really know the details of it all as much as I would like. But, I still think it's pretty sad how the city jumps on the opportunity to build a new stadium spending millions, when there are my beautiful Etzel children who are in need of a decent education.

Photos of Busch Stadium

An old article on why people didn't want the new stadium:
Stop the Stadium Madness: Here are 10 good reasons

The new ballpark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home