Tuesday, October 26, 2004

United States Holocaust Museum, DC

Thanks to the American Jewish Committee who sponsors a complimentary trip for PTS students to visit The United States Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. each year. There were last minute openings so I was able to go. My previous exposure to a Holocaust Museum was quite a few years back at the Houston, Texas Holocaust Museum. I do not remember much of the exhibits at that time, but I do recall viewing a documentary film which made the events more real to me. As a result of Tuesday's trip, I feel like I have learned more as well as been reminded of the horribleness of the Nazi regeime.

We were able to view the Permanent Exhibit which is 3 floors of the building and outlines the "Nazi Assault," the "Final Solution," and the "Last Chapter". I also went through the Special Exhibit, "Remember the Children: Daniel's Story". Ran out of time though and wasn't able to see the "Deadly Medicine: Creating a Master Race" Exhibit. SInce I went to Daniel's house first, and went pretty slow in the beginning of the Permanent Exhibit I had to rush through the last section. So, if you're slow at museums like I am give yourself more than the 4 hours they gave us!

And the pictures from the Premanent Exhibition:

Tower of Faces-as described by the website... "devoted to the Jewish community of the Lithuanian town of Eisiskes, which was massacred by units of the German Einsatzgruppe and their Lithuanian auxiliaries in two days of mass shootings on September 25 and 26, 1941. The exhibit consists of approximately 1,000 reproductions of prewar photographs of Jewish life in the town gathered from more than 100 families by Dr. Yaffa Eliach, who spent her early childhood in Eisiskes."

Detail of the scale model of crematorium II at Auschwitz-Birkenau-this model shows the whole process of leading the Jews in a mass heard into a building where they are told to strip for a "cleansing shower". As they are all waiting half dressed or naked, farther down the model continues and shows the gassing room which is where this picture is from. Then, beyond that is the crematorium. Even the model faces grab me.

There were photographs by Roman Vishniac of the Jewish community which really touched me as well. I didn't find his pictures online, but I thought this biography from a past exibition of his very interesing.

And it's bed time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home