Sunday, October 31, 2004

The beautiful day that was today...I wanted to run in the leaves!

Sometimes we see others who we think do not belong, so we shout out their name to embarrass them. Sometimes we try to hide in the crowd, hoping no one will recognize us. Sometimes we are upset that others in the crowd have the things we want, so we complain and grumble out loud. Sometimes the crowd looms over us so that we lose touch with God. Sometimes we feel called to ask the crowd to do unpopular things, and yet we shy away from that call. Sometimes we say to ourselves, "if only I were somewhere else...". Forgive us, God. Help us understand our relationships with others. Help us to be a part of your people. See our hearts, O God. Know our deepest yearnings to be with you. Call us from where we have been hinding to take our place next to you. Welcome us into the crowd of your disciples gathered together in love.

This was the litany of confession at Westminister Presbyterian in Trenton for this mornings service. Seems appropriate after what I posted yesterday. It grounded me to realize that God placed me here for a reason and I need to embrace that fully. Not trying to forget the past or people in the past who aren't in NJ, but at the same time, not separating myself from the people I know here in NJ by thinking too much of the people who aren't in NJ. Rhema?

As far as the venture to Trenton....

First of all, let me just say that New Jersey roads are a trip...next year when I have a car I will be going insane trying to learn the road system!

Secondly, Cathy and I went to this church because we are both interested in a field ed opportunity in a multicultural congregation. Don't worry, I haven't tossed my desires for an abroad internship out the window--how could I turn down an opportunity to live and work in Scotland for a year?! I will probably end up doing a year long internship here in Jeresy next year while taking classes like most people do, and then take the next year for a full time internship in Scotland. This way, one of my interships will be multicultural and I can still live abroad for a year. I am pretty excited about that actually. For awhile I wasn't as excited because I realized that the intership in Scotland would probably be in an older Scottish congregation. And, while I think I need experience in that traditional environment, I also feel called towards a multicultural congregation. So, in spending a year in both places I hope to discern where the call is... Both opportunities are exciting for me--in one I will be abroad and in the other I will be working in a congregation differant than I grew up in.

I think it's funny how a part of me resists the possiblity of being a pastor and thinks that I will lean towards social work at the end of my dual degree, and yet, I've already got two ideas for where I want to do pastoral interships! Maybe I can find a field placement that covers social work as well as pastoral ministry.

Oh, and shout out to Christina who just came back from Virginia and brought me a 6 pack of Shiner Bock!! YEA!!! It's been 4 months too long. Gracias mi amiga!

1 Comments:

At 1/11/04 4:18 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I'm gonna have to agree with Ellen's comment and disagree with Stephen's...sorta. Not all beers are created equal. Shiner is right at the top of the list. I think I'll have one while I work on my Greek exegesis paper by the way...

You and your height issues...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home