Thursday, September 30, 2004

Life is good

Well, folks...what can I write? It's been a while since I've had time to post so there is much circling in my mind. First off, despite this crazy long sleep deprived week, which I brought upon myself, I am thankful for the opportunities that have arisen to get to know some of the people on campus better. Or maybe it's just that I have a better attitude about meeting people and am actually taking inititive! :-)

We had an international field ed meeting tonight which was great because I got to talk to 3 people who interned at churches in Scotland for a year. How much more did that make me want to go?! I am intrigued by the stories of leading devotionals for the kids in the area at the public schools since there is no separation of church as state as we know it. I am also intriqued at having parish churches where everyone in the area is a part of the church, even if they don't believe or attend the church, and because they are a part of the church they are entitled to funeral services at the church. One of the guys said he gave a funeral service for an alcoholic atheist! I know it will be a challenging experience, but I really think it is something that I need and will benefit from. Not having any pastoral exposure (beyond watching my dad, which doesn't help practically speaking) I think a year long internship would be the best option. There will be cultural barriers and the difficulty of living in a new country as the only American and facing a new world of a ministry experience within that context....BUT....I really feel that may be just what I need! Just dive right in--sink or swim...hopefully there would be no sinkage however. Please pray that I may discern if this is what God is calling me to do, because I don't know how it will fit into the plans for pursuing the dual degree in social work. If I can't do both I don't know what I will choose. Part of me is way more excited about the opportunity to live and work in Scotland, but then I also want to investigate the world of social work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home