Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The new PTS President

I love our new president here at PTS, Iain Torrance. He is from Scotland and was previously the Moderator of the General Assembly of The Church of Scotland. He spoke at the opening convocation tonight. Wow. It was a great talk, but I am sad to admit, a bit over my head. There were times he would say something and it would make sense and other times it was way beyond reach. I am sitting 10 ft. from him, looking up at his profile, and listening to the British accent, amazed at how well read and smart he is, and wishing I could make sense of his thoughts. I thought I was the only one, but apparently I'm not. This is good.


I was inspired to learn more about Torrance and found these articles interesting. Not only concerning him, but the now current Moderator of the GA of The Church of Scotland--the first woman in this role in Scotland, Dr Alison Elliot.


"Kirk names former TA chaplain as Moderator"-May 18, 2003

"Female Moderator makes history"-Oct. 29, 2003

"New head of Church may face pulpit ban"-Nov. 1, 2003

"The man for the job"-Nov. 3, 2003

"Ministers threaten to bar Moderator"-Nov. 7, 2003

"Time to shake off homophobia"-Dec. 26, 2003

"Love thy fellow man, in spirit"-You'll have to scroll down to read this entry, it comments on the subject of the previous news article.

"Hope Rises From Iraq’s Ashes"-March 7, 2004

"Kirk chief takes on US college post"-April 15, 2004

"Assembly confirms 2 seminary presidents"-June 30, 2004


These are all good articles. Yes, I realize I have too much time on my hands. But not anymore starting tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home