Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Grace of Reconciliation-Calvin

It is one thing to feel that God as our Maker supports us by his power, governs us by his providence, nourishes us by his goodness, and attends us with all sorts of blessings--and another thing to embrace the grace of reconciliation offered to us in Christ.--John Calvin, The Institutes of The Christian Religion, Book One, Chapter Two, Section One.

I learned this the summer of 2003 at the City Lights Urban Project with InterVarsity. I was hit smack in the face with the notion that even though I'd heard of grace, I didn't really understand it. I wasn't living in God's grace, much less letting other people show me grace. When I messed up I took myself too seriously. I let my low self-esteem bring up questions and doubts as to how people could really love me once they got to know me. The grace of reconciliation. This is a beautiful phrase. Grace brings us to the point of reconciliation with one another, with ourselves, and with God. In order to bring about any change within ourselves, the church, or the nation, we must first recognize the importance of grace. Showing grace and living in grace; grace for all people, no matter where they live, what they do, who they are friends with, what their history is, or their relation to you. It follows closely with the command to love your neighbor as well as your enemy. Grace and hesed, unconditional love. Separate, yet interconnected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home